NOTICE: Please visit http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/menus/consumer/tech/privacy.shtm for important information about safe surfing from the U.S. Federal Trade Commission and https://www.priv.gc.ca/en/privacy-topics/privacy-laws-in-canada/ for information about safe surfing from the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada.
This policy applies to information we collect:
- on this Website; and
- in email, text, and other electronic messages between you and this Website.
Blender Media believes that you should understand why we collect, and how we use and disclose the personal information you provide and, furthermore, that you should have the right to approve the use of that information. In the handling of your information, Blender Media follows a policy of "informed consent." In the course of using the varied features of this Website, you may provide information (such as name, contact information, or other registration information) to Blender Media, its service providers, or other businesses you contact.
Blender Media and these entities may use, and you agree that Blender Media may use, this information as well as technical information about your use of this Website, or communicate separately with you.
Blender Media will not provide our users' personal information to companies you have not interacted with. Blender Media will not disclose your personal information, except as described herein, and Blender Media will not disclose information to others that would connect your user name with your actual name, unless Blender Media is compelled to do so by legal authorities. In our sole discretion, we reserve the right to make exceptions whenever we have a good faith belief that access, use or disclosure of personal information is reasonably necessary to (a) satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request, (b) detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues, or (c) protect against imminent harm to the rights, property or safety of our Website, its users or the public.
Collection of Personal Information
We collect personal information directly from you and will have sought your consent to do this. Blender Media collects personal and non-personal information about our users so that we can provide a more interesting and useful service, as well as more targeted advertising. We ask for your name, e-mail address, and other personal information when you register to use certain features of our Website. We sometimes conduct surveys as well, although you are not required to respond to them.
For more information about cookies, read the unofficial Cookie FAQ from: http://www.cookiecentral.com/faq/
We may also use tiny electronic images (called "single-pixel GIFs" or "Web beacons"), which allow us to count users who have visited specific pages or accessed certain features. Blender Media may use single-pixel GIFs in the following ways:
- to conduct research on behalf of some partners about their websites;
- to count and recognize users;
- for auditing purposes;
- to determine aggregate information about users, including demographic and usage information; and
- to determine which e-mail messages were opened and/or acted upon when we send HTML-formatted e-mail messages (messages resembling web pages that include graphics).
Advertising networks that serve ads on our site may also use single-pixel images in their advertisements. In general, any electronic image viewed as part of a web page, including an ad banner, can act as a web beacon.
Use of Personal Information
Blender Media collects personal information, including but not limited to information you provide us when you register, browse our Website, or participate in services and promotions on our Website, or based upon the information on our server log files, to improve our Website and to deliver a better and more personalized service, including by enabling us to:
- estimate our audience size and usage patterns;
- store information about your preferences, allowing us to customize our Website according to your individual interests;
- to provide customer support;
- to detect, prevent and address technical issues;
- recognize you when you return to our Website; and
- to provide our advertisers with an efficient way to reach the right audience.
We use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us, including any personal information:
- to present our Website and its contents to you;
- to conduct research on our users' demographics, interests, and behavior;
- to provide you with information, products, or services that you request from us;
- to fulfill any other purpose for which you provide it;
- to notify you about changes to our Website or any products or services we offer or provide though it;
- in any other way we may describe when you provide the information;
- for any other purpose with your consent.
Any research we conduct is compiled and analyzed on an aggregated basis.
We may also use the information we have collected from you to enable us to display advertisements to our advertisers' target audiences. Even though we do not disclose your personal information for these purposes without your consent, if you click on or otherwise interact with an advertisement, the advertiser may assume that you meet its target criteria
Sometimes we ask for personal information when providing special features and services. You do not have to give us that information, but without it, you may not be able to take advantage of those products or services.
Disclosure of Personal Information
Blender Media (or people working on our behalf under contracts and confidentiality agreements) would then take the advertisement and display it to users who have told us they meet those criteria. We may also disclose aggregate information (for example, information showing that 100,000 of our readers clicked on a particular web advertising banner last month) in order to describe our services to prospective partners, advertisers, and other third parties, and for other lawful purposes.
We may disclose individually identifiable information only under the following circumstances:
- we may disclose information to others when we have your consent;
- if you sign up for a special offer from an advertiser, we will provide your individual contact information (such as your name, mailing address, e-mail address, and/or telephone number), so that the advertiser can fulfill the offer. Once the advertiser receives the information, it will be subject to that firm's own privacy policies. If you do not want a particular advertiser to have your personal information, then you should not sign up for that advertiser's offer;
- we may disclose your personal information as required by applicable law, or in response to legal process, to protect the rights or property of Blender Media, or to protect the safety of Blender Media, our users, or others;
- we may also disclose your personal information to organizations that carry out functions on our behalf and to other third parties where the product or service requires this disclosure;
- we may disclose personal information in some other limited circumstances, but we will specifically describe them to you when we collect the information;
- when we employ contractors or other third parties to help with our operations, we may give them access to databases of user information, so that they can perform services for us, including performing system maintenance, performing list analysis or management, or sending mailings for us from our advertisers. These parties are all subject to confidentiality agreements that restrict the use and disclosure of information they obtain through their relationship with our Website;
- the ads appearing on this Website are delivered to you by our advertisers. Information about your visits to our Website, such as the number of times you have viewed an ad (but not your name, address, or other personal information), is used to serve ads to you; and
- we may disclose your personal information to another entity as part of a merger, a sale of assets or all or part of our business, or any other corporate change or re-organization.
Security Measures Do We Take
Blender Media is committed to protecting your personal information. We store information you provide us on our secure servers. Passwords are encrypted using encryption technologies.
Use of Information for Direct Mailings
If you register with our Website or sign up for any of our services, we will send you information about our various products and services, or other products and services that we believe may interest you. Our partners in co-branded products may also send you information.
If you do not want to receive such offers and mailings, you can let us know on our opt-out page or simply to click the "unsubscribe" link found in our e-mail messages.
Our Website is not intended for children under 13 years of age. No one under age 13 may provide any personal information to or on the Website. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If you are under 13, do not use or provide any information on this Website, register on the Website, or provide any information about yourself to us, including your name, address, telephone number, email address, or any screen name or user name you may use. We operate our Website in compliance with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (http://www.ftc.gov/ogc/coppa1.htm) and will not knowingly collect or use personally identifiable information from anyone under 13.
Personal Information Retaining Period
We will retain personal information only as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes stated above, as required for legal or business purposes or as required by law. Subsequently, we will destroy, erase, or make anonymous such information.
Legal Basis for Processing Personal Data under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
Blender Media may process your Personal Data because:
- you have given us permission to do so;
- the processing is in our legitimate interests and it is not overridden by your rights; or
- to comply with the law.
You are transmitting your information to us your own risk. Blender Media cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us. You are responsible for maintaining the secrecy of any password and/or account information. Please be careful and responsible whenever you are online, especially when using a computer that other people can use also.
Many of our advertisers or partners link from our site to areas on their own sites where they sell their own products and services. If you follow links from our site to others, you should be aware that you are doing business with those other sites, which have their own privacy and data collection policies. Blender Media has no responsibility or liability for these independent policies. For more information regarding a site and its privacy policies, check that site.
Your information, including personal data, may be transferred to - and maintained on - computers located outside of your state, province, country or other governmental jurisdiction where the data protection laws may differ from those of your jurisdiction.
If you are located outside Canada and choose to provide information to us, please note that we transfer the data, including personal data, to Canada and process it there.